CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless colorless gas found in combustion fumes. It is produced by cars, small engines, stoves, lanterns heating systems, burning charcoal, and wood and gas ranges. When the listed items are not in good repair or ventilated properly, excessive amounts of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) fill the air causing carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur anytime during the year. When alternative heating systems are used the risk increases significantly.
CO POISONING IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY!
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
- blurred vision
- chest pain
- confusion, dizziness
- nausea and vomiting
- shortness of breath
- Remove the victim away from the gas source and into a well ventilated area with plenty of fresh air
- Call 911
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in all homes near all sleeping areas, in living quarters and on every level.
- Always crack a window when running a parked car outdoors.
- Never run a car in a closed garage.
- Never run a generator in a garage or home.
- Never use gas stoves and ovens as heating sources during a power outage.
- Never use gas, charcoal or barbecue grills indoors as well as portable camp stoves. These items are meant for outdoor use only and use indoors can lead to dangerous carbon monoxide buildup.